Sunday 1 July 2007

Camping

Where else in the world would you have to camp indoors? Just when you think it has stopped raining, it rains again.
The boys bought a tent in Tescos for £4.97 - I thought this was a great bargain but come to think of it, how do they manage to sell so cheaply? Not sure that I agree with their really low prices - it must mean that somewhere in the world, people are working for pittance, which means that by buying the stuff, we're endorsing this practice. Would be interested in hearing your comments on this.

'Masters, give your bondservants what is just and fair, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven' Colossians chap4 v1





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Dot - It's one of those things we really should have a conscience about.

Don't you think though that if the tent had been £20.00 in tesco's you probably wouldn't have bought it.

Just a thought really. I try to be so frugal that I don't really have room to worry about source so thanks for the reminder. ;-)

A Bee said...

I also have that dilema. For a while I bought fair trade clothing but it's so expensive with five kids. Some companies mark up the products to line their own pockets. I'd love to travel to some of these countries and buy up large, straight from the communities. Perhaps when u get your camper .....!

Dot said...

If the tent had been £20 - no I wouldn't have bought it. I also went & bought another today for a birthday present. It just doesn't make sense that they can sell it for that. I'd love to know what their profit is & how much the manufacturers are getting paid. I'm also aware that we sell doors & I'm sure the manufacturers are getting paid poor wages too - we can't make internal doors for anywhere close to what we buy them readymade & we're not even buying direct. If I mentioned this to Dave he'd just tell me to wise up.